Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wedding Crafts: Cake Topper

It's a fact. I like birds. 
In the past few years they have become quite popular, and there are many different crafts to be made that surround them. In one of Martha Stewart's wedding magazines, there was a really cute bird cake topper (my inspiration) that I liked. So, I thought it would be a really cute idea to make my own!
My plan was to do a University of Kentucky bird for me and a University of South Carolina bird for Matt (just the colors and not the literal logos). These were pretty easy to make (and I'm not seamstress)!!!


Here is the FREE sewing PATTERN made by Spool that I used to make the birds. 


The original Spool pattern doesn't have wings, and I decided to make little ones that I hand sewed onto the sides. I also sewed up the tails to give them little "tail feathers". Also, I added a little top hat that I bought at Hobby Lobby for the boy bird and a mini veil with some extra tulle with a small flower attachment for the girl bird. The legs were made with covered floral wire. I poked holes where I wanted the legs to be and formed a U shape and looped it through the body.
It sounds harder than it looks..... :)

Here are our birds 

The cake was made and decorated by my sweet mother-in-law. The bottom layer was a white cake with key lime pie filling. The middle layer was a Chocolate Mocha Kahlua cake with Heath bar & Nutella filling. The top layer was a homemade Strawberry cake. The whole cake was iced in a buttercream frosting. Sadly, I only got to have one bite of the cake! 


BUT at least I had a small taste testing beforehand of the middle layer (same as Matt's groom's cake) which we had at Rehearsal Dinner and the top layer's extra batter was made into cupcakes!!
And let me tell you, they were SOOO tasty!!!!



When I first entered the reception, it was the first thing I could see in front of the fireplace. It was so beautiful that it made me tear up a bit. It was definitely one of my most FAVORITE things!!! Doesn't it look amazing?!

 
Thanks Mama P!


Our monogram

Aren't they so cute?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To all my visitors, friends, followers old and new- i LOVE receiving sweet comments!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...