Sunday, January 29, 2012

Coffee Filter Backdrop


The bride (my now SISTER in law!!!!!) wanted a fun backdrop for behind the cake table and we chose this pin as inspiration:
{seen here & the Pinterest Board Mark & Sandy}
Because knowing that fabric can sometimes be expensive, I chose to do something a little different.....I dyed coffee filters and hung them from a tree branch "frame" :) It was funky, neon, and one of my favorite projects! 

If you're interested in how I made this, I've included a quick tutorial:

Supplies:

*Dyed Coffee Filters (6 packs)
Fishing line
Plastic Straws (3 boxes)
Scissors
Needle
Metal Washers (15)
Large Crimp Beads (1 pack)
Pliers
*Backdrop Frame

*I had previously dyed the coffee filters with regular & neon food coloring. It's not too hard to do- I mixed up different color combinations according to the back of the box :) Then, I broke up the coffee filters into large sections, folded them into quarters, dyed them together at one time, and then separated them filter by filter to dry (underneath wax paper and paper towels).
*My husband made the backdrop frame using 3 tree branches.
*The only things I bought were the coffee filters & crimp beads :) This project was under $8

My mama-in-law and friend Allison slaving away :)
Can you see the tree branch frame?
Instructions:

1. You will need to cut your fishing line at least a foot longer than your backdrop stand's height. My stand was 6 ft tall, so I cut each of my lines 7ft in length.

2. Cut your straws into 5-6 pieces each and place in a bowl. I liked using straws that were the same color as my filters :) 

3. Tie a washer to one end of the fishing line. This will act as a weight to keep the strings in place.

4. Using your needle, poke a hole in the center of each filter. I used a large thick needle and did a stack of 10-20 filters at a time. 

5. Alternate back and forth with a straw piece and coffee filter, stringing them along your fishing line. I did each line with the same color.

            

6. Once all your lines are complete and you've used up all your filters, have a friend help you hang them!! Standing on a chair (if you're short like me), loop the string around the branch, pull the line until it's hanging where you want it, then have your friend hold the two strands together. Using your crimp bead, make sure the two strands are inside the indention and squeeze together with your pliers. I did two beads on each line just to be secure.

7. Repeat step 6 until you're done! Then, crinkle all the coffee filters from top to bottom (so you can't see the straws) like they're a flower. Please ignore the one I didn't finish-OOPS!

8. Stand back & enjoy your handiwork! This project would be a lot of fun for a birthday party!

{Here are some photos of the Coffee Filter Backdrop at the wedding reception}

 
Mama Pepin putting the cake together

All the pretty blues and greens

Cutting the Cake        


When they were done, I took this shot of them in front of the backdrop :)

Congrats Mark & Sandy!!!
we love you!


Make sure you check out the other fun wedding crafts I put together!! 
{#1 and #2 and #3}

19 comments:

  1. This is so creative! I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great way to get a splash of color! Saw this at Debbiedoos Party and I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative...and beautiful. Glad I found your site. I'm a new follower, so stop by and follow back, so we can keep in touch, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just fabulously creative. Love her colors, too!! Would be delighted for you to link to my brand new party: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/01/mop-it-up-mondays-party-1.html
    {HUGS},
    kristi
    your newest follower ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looooove this! What an awesome idea! I love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my hannah - that is amazing! It looks so much like the inspiration. How cool.

    I've just started a link party devoted to projects inspired by pinterest pins.
    Very Pinteresting Party

    I'd love for you to come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh! That's beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this tutorial! Hope you'll link it up to our Party Tutorial Contest: http://www.purejoyeventsblog.com/2012/01/party-tutorial-contest-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done and so clever! I'm wondering how the dyed filters would have looked sewn in a long garland? Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful looking couple who has a very creative sister-in-law! I am gathering tutorials for my blog, which are mostly about sewing, but this is just to cute to pass up. If you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool idea! I love it!
    You should join me for Handmade 52! http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/ -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up! I thought this was great so I featured it. Don't forget to grab your featured button! http://www.colormeglamorous.com/2012/02/its-your-time-to-shine-saturday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is really neat! What a cool idea. Visiting from Naptime Crafters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great idea! I pinned it for later! Thanks so much for sharing!

    If you're interested, Wayward Girls’ Crafts is just getting our linky party going. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/02/wayward-weekend-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so fun and clever! I love it! Thank you for joining TTF last week! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Just wanted to let you know I featured this today! Thanks for linking up to my pinteresting party. Hope to see you back!

    http://bugaboominimrme.blogspot.com/2012/02/id-forget-my-head-if-it-wasnt-attached.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. About how many filters went on per line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember! Each one was a different length. I used 6 bags of coffee filters so that's a lot. Definitely a 100 at least?

      Delete

To all my visitors, friends, followers old and new- i LOVE receiving sweet comments!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...