We already know that i HEART Mod Podge!!!!
Mod Podge (short for Modern Decoupage in case you were wondering) comes in many different types: Matte, Gloss, Satin, Hard Coat, Paper, Fabric, Outdoor, Shimmer, Sparkle, Glitter, Puzzle, and my new favorite.....Dimensional Magic.
There is even a Mod Podge Rocks blog dedicated to it! :)
This tutorial can be used for either of these Pottery Barn knock-off ornaments!
The music ornament ($8 each) and bird ornaments ($29 for a set of 4)
I've made these little beauties as Christmas gifts for easy mailing to some family members.
Alright, let's get started...
Mod Podge (I used Gloss)
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
Sheet Music AND Pictures of Birds ( from the Graphics Fairy)
4in. Wood Disc Rounds (pack of 6 at Hobby Lobby)
Hot Glue gun
Hot Glue sticks
1. Trace out circles from your selected Sheet Music for both sides of the ornaments (12 total)
Also, cut out the birds and little extras you want and Pre-Arrange them as how you want them to look!!
2. Mod Podge the wood and place the music paper on the top of the disc
3. Place the cut out birds and extras onto the still wet discs and Mod Podge on top of them to seal them there. Let dry (usually 10 minutes). Trim the edges with the scissors around the circle!
4. On the back of the disc place the piece of cut ribbon (6in) onto the back with ribbon sides flat. Mod Podge on top of the ribbon and disc.
5. Place the other cut out paper right on top of the ribbon and smooth out. Mod Podge on top and let dry for 10 minutes.
6. Take some decorative ribbon (using something glittery works best) and hot glue the ribbon around the outer edges of the ornament.
7. Take your Mod Podge Dimensional and completely cover the top (do NOT squeeze or shake the bottle, it's pretty thin and will come out on its own). Make sure to fill in any air bubbles. It's pretty visible when wet so the spots you missed should be easy to see. Let dry for about 3 hours.
|The top ones have the Dimensional the bottom left does not|
Once the dimensional is dry it will be smooth and shiny. You can do the back if you so desire. Sharpie marker is nice to put the year on the back and won't smear.